Chocolate cupcakes with caramel buttercream
INGREDIENTS (makes ~15 small cupcakes)
* 1 pack of Superfood Bakery Organic Smile Seeker Chocolate Cake Mix
* 65g vegetable oil
* 1 cup dairy free milk
* 1 tbsp agave syrup or honey
For the icing:
* 200g caramel or Dulce de leche
* 200g butter at room temperature
* Cacao nibs
* Chopped walnuts
* Fresh apple slices
* Caramel or salted caramel sauce
* Chocolate shavings
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a deep bowl, mix vegetable oil, milk, agave syrup (or honey) and cake mix together until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until approximately two-thirds full.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Once ready, cool on a wire rack.
- To make the buttercream beat the butter for ~5 minutes until it is white and fluffy. If the butter gets too warm – simply cool it for 10 minutes in the fridge.
- Start adding your caramel in three bathes - beating well after each batch.
- Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag.
- Pipe over the cupcakes, sprinkle with chocolate, cacao nibs or walnuts. Drizzle with caramel sauce and top with an apple slice.