If you haven't noticed it yet on the shelves of Whole Foods, then perhaps you are missing out. Amaranth is the new quinoa, and for a good reason!
A staple food of the Aztecs many centuries ago, amaranth is packed with Iron, Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc, and has more protein than oats! If that's not convincing enough, here are 7 more reasons why you should immediately get into this gluten-free nutritional bombshell!
1. Amaranth is rich in an amino acid called lysine, which makes it a complete protein, as is contains all 7 amino acids. With 26 grams of protein per cup, as opposed to 13 grams for white rice, it is no wonder we've included amaranth into our protein-packed bliss ball mix!
2. It's a great source of vitamins and minerals: 1 uncooked cup has 82% recommended daily intake of iron, 31% of calcium and 14% of vitamin C!
3. Amaranth contains phytosterols, which can cut your levels of cholesterol!
4. An impressive source of fibre, amaranth contains 13 grams per cup (uncooked)! For comparison, white rice has just 2 grams!
5. This tiny seed contains peptides and oils, which have powerful anti-inflammatory properties, making it almost a dietary staple for those suffering from diabetes and heart disease.
6. The antioxidants in amaranth may help protect cells from damage thus making it a measure to prevent cancer.
7. Finally, it can make you younger because it prevents premature graying of the hair!